About the Position
Brunch is a small team. We are a design, web development and brand consultancy specializing in lifestyle, technology, and civic and nonprofit institutions. It doesn’t matter if we’re serving a global Fortune 500 company, a beloved local business, or a revered national institution, we approach our work like we do our life: as an adventure we take with our friends. That’s how we consistently deliver the kind of creative that brings our partners back over and over again.
Our culture is fueled by exploration, entrepreneurship and ownership. Because we are inspired by the passion of our people, our new business efforts are driven by the products, services and business that inspire us every day.
We’re looking for fellow adventurers; hard workers who take their creative personally and are passionate about growing the company.
You must thrive in a collaborative environment where design, development, and strategy happen in an agile, integrated process. You must have a passion for innovation and thrive on making a difference.
The role of a visual designer is to approach project challenges with a focus on interpreting and developing the client’s brand, while also communicating our clients’ message in an engaging and creative way. Designers at Brunch must be able to apply and communicate solid rationale as part of their creative process. They possess excellent visual design skills with a strong sense of graphic, web and screen design, and a high level of understanding of visual solutions for smaller portable screens. They contribute to and own the visual design aspect of projects and pitches and have an appreciation of interaction design.
What we’re looking for: Someone with serious typography skills, an eye for the details, and comfort presenting to clients. You can take and give critique, and you are comfortable asking for help. Because we are a small team which includes remote employees, communication is paramount. We primarily work on digital design, so a designer/interactive needs to have an understanding of UI and accessible design. A willingness to learn and tackle new problems is a must.
Who you are:
- You live and breathe design.
- A craftsperson. You sweat the little things and get lost in the details; you consider the impact of your decisions beyond pixel pushing.
- A comfortable presenter. You can present on behalf of Brunch to clients and stakeholders.
- A creative. You know how to give and receive quality feedback; you know that sometimes you have to kill your darlings, but there is always another great idea waiting in the wings.
- Plugged into the community. You are on top of what is going on in the world of design/art/fashion/creativity and bring that information and inspiration to the design studio, ready to integrate into our work.
- A problem solver. You invest in getting to know the problem well, and craft solutions to solve it.
- You’re a team player who enjoys project management and are excited about website design and development.
- You care about the granular details as much as you do large milestones; you consider the impact of how every decision can affect other projects, clients, and team members.
- You can present and lead meetings comfortably. You can interface on behalf of Brunch to clients and stakeholders.
- You enjoy problem solving. You invest in getting to know the problem well, and crafting solutions to solve it.
- You know your limitations and blind spots. You’re able to recognize when you don’t know something and are comfortable saying “I do not know, but let me ask my team and I will get back to you.”
What you will do:
- Inspire and excite colleagues and clients
- Use your creative instincts to continually refine and improve your’s and your teammates work
- Present work with strategic and creative rationale
Benefits and Perks:
- 3+ weeks vacation and sick time.
- 8+ paid holidays off.
- Health, vision, and dental insurance.
- Short-term and long-term disability.
- Life and AD&D insurance.
- Simple IRA with employer match.
- 10% net revenue bonus for each new business referral.
- Professional development opportunities.
- Flexible ‘work from home’ days.
- A close-knit team that cares about each others’ growth.
- Dogs in the DC office.
- Expertise with Adobe Creative Suite and Sketch
- Familiarity with the UX/UI design process (not just wireframing)
- Strong design portfolio that demonstrates your creative process (not just pretty pictures)
- 3-4+ years of experience
- Experience in data analysis and visualization.
- Writing experience within a digital product and/or research reports.